Jenster's Musings

Sunday, December 23, 2007

Philly Fun

I know I said I probably wouldn't be doing much blogging, but I just couldn't help myself. Katie and I had so much fun today. I can't think of any words that can adequately convey just how great it was.

We drove into the city and parked in the theater parking lot. From there we walked a block away and ate lunch at Ted's Montana Grill. Katie had pot roast. Bison pot roast. It was delicious! I was chicken and had a plain old beef hamburger.

After lunch we walked around a little bit because it was too early to go to the theater. It was drizzly and very windy and as we walked up to a red light at a corner I told Katie to stand back so she didn't get splashed by cars driving by, though it didn't really seem to be a problem. So guess what happened. I got splashed by a car driving by. I think they did it for a laugh. I certainly know I would have been laughing if I'd been them. Heck, I was laughing and it was me!

The ballet was performed at the Philadelphia Academy of Music and that alone was worth the price of admission. It's the oldest opera house in the U.S. which is still used for its original purpose. Built in 1855, the theater is known as the Grand Old Lady of Broad Street and it's simply beautiful. Of course you know I could go on and on about the history of the building, the chandelier, who all has been there, etc., but I won't bore you with those fascinating details. I'm probably the only one who gets into all that stuff.

I wish I would have had my camera with me because the photos I found on the internet just don't do it justice.



The first picture is looking at the seats from the stage and the second picture is of the gas lanterns they still use today. Never fear. I'll get better pictures eventually.

The ballet itself was incredible. The sets were phenomenal, the costumes were spectacular, the music was divine, and the dancing was superb. I even teared up when the Philadelphia Boys Choir sang while snow fell on the beautiful dancing snowflakes. It's almost like I can't handle so much beauty or something.

When we left it was starting to rain so we ditched our plans for walking around for a bit until we found just the right place for dessert. Instead we stopped at the Cheesecake Factory at the King of Prussia mall and grabbed some cheesecake for the family. Of which I am now off to eat!!

(Hey Beans! We were totally there at the same time because we got there a little before 4:00! Where were you sitting? We were sitting in the front left corner looking at the building. lol)

Labels: ,


Mused by Jenster :: 9:08 PM :: 16 People musing:

Post / Read Comments

---------------oOo---------------