Jenster's Musings

Thursday, July 03, 2008

The Big Picture

Do you know what this is??



It may look like a Starbuck's table, but it's actually The Big Picture. Here's proof:



Every now and then, and not nearly often enough, I meet my friend, Cristie, at Starbuck's in the Valley Forge Barnes & Noble. Cristie is an unusual choice of friend for me simply because she makes me examine those things I usually cram behind thoughts about the weather and books and what's going to happen next on LOST. She takes my mantra of "ignorance is bliss" and crushes it into dust.

Today was one of those days and she asked me if my life had turned out like I'd thought. I answered with both a yes and a no. And, of course, I've thought more about it since our visit and have crystallized my answers.

My personal life is pretty much where I imagined myself when I was a kid - happily married, stay-at-home suburban mom, family pet -- the only thing missing is the live-in maid. As far as a career is concerned, I honestly can't remember what I wanted to be. I vaguely remember thinking about the usual girl careers - nurse, teacher, game show hostess. But I don't think I ever really wanted to do anything specific.

So I told Cristie the events in my life weren't exactly what I had thought about while growing up, but I ended up where I wanted to. I demonstrated by pointing out God's plan for me on the table - it was a straight line from "A" to "B". Then I showed her the path I took and it was very curvy and curly, but it still ended up at "B". She did the same thing.

I imagine we can all say the same thing. And I also imagine if I'm at "B" it's only for a short while. I know God has so much more planned for me and I highly doubt I'll stay on His path the whole way. But I also know I'll find my way back to the course He's set for me.

Leave it to Cristie to see more than just a simple table. In the course of our conversation it became "The Big Picture". (You should have seen the looks we got while we were taking pictures with our cell phones.) So for the rest of the day I've had Deep Thoughts just like Jack Handy. Regardless of whether I'm where I thought I'd be, am I doing what God wants me to? For the most part I think so, though I know I tend to ignore his prompting sometimes just like I do the heavy subjects. I Suppose I need to get over that.

Labels: ,


Mused by Jenster :: 5:06 PM :: 9 People musing:

Post / Read Comments

---------------oOo---------------