Jenster's Musings

Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Random Musings

I have nothing brilliant to post today. Not that "brilliant" is a word used to describe my blog, but anyway...

Before I go on I have to mention the shootings yesterday. My heart goes out to the people affected by this tragedy, which I'm guessing is just about all of us. But the families and friends are foremost in my prayers. What a senseless loss.

***

My new car came with a three month trial of Sirius satellite. When I'm listening to satellite the stereo says who the artist is and the title of the song. I find myself looking at it to see if it's scrolling the words like a karaoke machine. Wouldn't that be cool?? Except for then I'd probably spend more time watching the stereo than the road so maybe that's not such a great idea.

***

Is it just me or does anyone else find the word "hoodia" to be hysterical. Every time I hear it in a commercial I am compelled to say it out loud and then I giggle. It's the simple things in life, you know.

***

A month or so ago Todd and I drove up to Martin Guitar in Nazareth, PA, to pick up the love of his life - his new guitar. For some reason I'm not jealous of "Arwyn" like I am Jill (the GPS). Which has caused me to notice a disturbing trend. It seems as though we name everything. I'm starting to think we develop unhealthy relationships with inanimate objects.

***

Because Martin is a tourist stop they have brochures for the local attractions. Since we like to RV I picked up all the campground brochures I could find. One in particular made me gasp in shock before I dissolved into laughter. All I saw when I first picked it up was "Family Camping the Natural Way". It was a NUDIST CAMPGROUND! "Family camping?" Whatever.

***

I've survived my first nor'easter. We had lots of rain, tons of wind and a bunch of snow. In the middle of April! The schools were delayed for two hours yesterday which was nice. We all got to sleep in until 8:00. But I'm really looking forward to spring. I'm ready for capris and sandals weather.

I do feel for the many people who have really suffered from this storm. The flooding, the 17" of snow, the loss of electricity. So much to deal with.

***

Current Reading

I am currently reading A Voice in the Wind, book #1 of the Mark of the Lion series by Francine Rivers. It is truly a stellar novel and Ms. Rivers never fails to impress me. While she writes inspirational fiction, her books are edgy and raw, holding nothing back.

This series takes place thirty years or so after the death of Christ (I think historically it was 70 AD) during the Roman destruction of Jerusalem. We take a ride from Jerusalem to Germania to Rome to Ephesus and follow the lives of four main characters:

Hadassah - A Jewish Christian, she's the only survivor of her family and eventually becomes a slave to a spoiled Roman girl. She hides her Christianity because, while Jews are not loved by the Romans, Christians are despised and sent to the lions for sport.

Atretes - A Germanic warrior, he unwillingly is made the clan chief when his father is killed during a battle with Romans. Shortly after, he's captured and sent to train as a gladiator.

Marcus - A young Roman man who embraces the modern notion that if it feels good do it. Nothing else matters but one's own pleasures. He's forever at odds with his parents, especially his father, who hold to the older moral traditions.

Julia - Younger sister to Marcus and the spoiled Roman girl who is given Hadassah as her maid.

This was not a pretty time and Ms. Rivers doesn't hide the ugliness. She paints a very real and vivid picture of what life was like. But the characters are fascinating and the tales she weaves are mesmerizing. I've had the set for three years or so and I can't figure out why I waited so long to start it.

Labels: ,


Mused by Jenster :: 10:28 AM :: 11 People musing:

Post / Read Comments

---------------oOo---------------