Jenster's Musings

Thursday, April 05, 2007

23 Years Ago Today...

April 5th was on a Thursday 23 years ago today. And just like this Thursday, it was Maundy Thursday, the day many churches celebrate the Last Supper.

My friend, Cathy, and I had spent the first part of the week laying by a pool in Palm Springs, supposedly babysitting her younger sister and a friend. We came back on Wednesday so I could go to the service at church with my parents on Thursday and leave for my grandparents' in Northern California on Friday.

I had a neighbor across the street named Eddie who was a year older than me and a second year student at Berkley. When we came home from church and I saw Eddie's car there I decided to go visit for a little while. I noticed Billy's car and another car in front. The other car made me hesitate because I didn't know who it belonged to. Mom reminded me, though, that we were leaving in the morning and Eddie would be gone when we got back.

So I went to see Eddie and Billy and whoever the other person was. Turns out the other person was this really cute guy. We'd gone to the same high school, he a year older than myself, but we didn't know each other. He was nice and thoughtful and funny and we found ourselves on the same side of every argument which broke out - and there were always a lot at Eddie's house. Which are faster - long skis or short skis? Which is the better baseball team - the Angels or the Dodgers? Who was the better English teacher - Wickstrom or Garner? And on and on and on. That family would discuss anything! Which is probably why I enjoyed going over there. Nothing like a brisk conversation to get the blood pumping.

There was an immediate and obvious attraction between Eddie's friend and myself, but he had been dating the same girl off and on for nearly two years and I kind of sort of had a boyfriend overseas in the Navy. Still, I found myself thankful that I had a great tan and he was seeing me at my best. After all, I'd just come from church so I looked nice. Otherwise there's no telling what I would have looked like!

But alas, he was attached and I was pseudo-attached so nothing could come of it. What was telling, however, was the next day on the drive to Northern California - 8 hours - according to my Mother I talked about that boy the entire way. I'm sure my "boyfriend" made it into the conversation some, but it was dominated by that guy at Eddie's.

I know you all are really smart and I don't have to tell you it was Todd I met 23 years ago today. I have a hard time reconciling the fact that I'm OLD enough to have met him 23 years ago. What was I? Eight?? Um, no. That doesn't add up quite right. I was 18 and he was 19. Which makes us *gasp* middle aged.

And the matter of other attachments? You'll just have to wait another month to find out what happened there.

PARKING TICKET CONTEST

I'll post the winner of yesterday's contest - along with much praise and adoration - in another couple of days. So if you haven't made your guess yet, then get to it!

Labels: , ,


Mused by Jenster :: 8:17 AM :: 12 People musing:

Post / Read Comments

---------------oOo---------------