Jenster's Musings

Thursday, November 01, 2007

Book Meme

I was tagged for a fun book meme by a sort-of-new-to-me blogger friend and fellow breast cancer survivor, Sherry at Sage and Thyme. So here we go…

TOTAL # OF BOOKS

I couldn’t possibly say how many books I’ve read so far in my lifetime, but I can say how many books I’ve read so far this year. And last year. I started keeping a reading log in 2006 and it’s fun to see how much I’ve read, what I’ve read and what I thought about the book.

I read a total of 44 books last year which is pretty pitiful. Before chemo I probably averaged about 8 books a month. Forty-four books in a year is less than half of that. I’ve only completed 35 books so far this year. Maybe next year will be better.

LAST BOOK READ

I just finished Revealed by Tamara Alexander. It’s the second in the Fountain Creek Trilogy, a wonderful inspirational romance series. I put Tamara Alexander in the edgy category along with some of my other favorite inspirational authors – Deeanne Gist, Liz Curtis Higgs and Francine Rivers.


Here’s the back blurb:

Annabelle Grayson has been given a second chance at life, but she can't claim it with the cloud of her past hanging over her in Willow Springs. After her husband dies, she advertises for a trail guide to accompany her to land waiting for her in Idaho--and a most unlikely candidate applies for the job.

Matthew Taylor is a man on the run, with consequences of past mistakes pursuing him at every turn. Meeting Annabelle Grayson the first time was unpleasant enough, but when she crosses his path again, her presence in his life--and what she reveals--is devastating. If given a single wish, Matthew would turn back time and right a grievous wrong. If given a second wish, he would make Annabelle Grayson pay.

Just a little more info – Annabelle had been a prostitute in Willow Springs. Matthew Taylor would never darken the door of a brothel and held the women inside in much contempt. There’s much more to tell, but that might ruin it for you if you decide to read it. I can’t emphasize what a great series it is enough.

LAST BOOK(S) BOUGHT

Clapton – The Autobiography by Eric Clapton (for Todd)



Second Guessing God – Hanging on When You Can’t See His Plan by Brian Jones (the pastor at our church)



Bird by Bird by Anne Lamott (a book about writing non-fiction as recommended to me by Brian Jones)



FIVE MEANINGFUL BOOKS

Only five?? This is so difficult for me. I read mostly fiction and I wouldn’t say they’re meaningful as in life-changing. But the books (or series) I’m choosing have stirred my emotions or piqued my curiosity about historical events or, well, some of them have made me think about how I would respond to a similar situation. There are several more I could list, but I’ll leave it at five.



Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon – I fought starting this series because of the time travel aspect, but when I finally gave in I was so glad. These books are so rich in historical detail and I’ve learned so much from them. (I do my own research to confirm what I’m learning – just so you know)






Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers – Oh my goodness. This book was one of the most difficult books I’ve ever read. But what a great story about mercy and love.





Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott Odell – I read this book in the fourth grade and it was the first time I realized I could actually learn something from reading a good story. I think this is where my love for historical fiction started, though it was several years before I really got into reading.





The Lowlands of Scotland series by Liz Curtis Higgs – This is a trilogy based on the story of Jacob, Leah and Rachel in Genesis. Liz did a phenomenal job of translating a bible story thousands of years old into a more “modern” telling (1788). I read it in tandem with my Bible to see where she was going to go next. Still, she managed to surprise me.




A Rose in Winter by Kathleen Woodiwiss – This was my first romance novel ever. I started really enjoying reading when I was in high school. I remember reading my dad’s Sidney Sheldon books and then a couple Robin Cook’s and thinking I was much too intelligent and savvy to read a romance. PULEEZE! Can you say “snob”? I joined Doubleday Book Club and forgot to send the card in on time. I received “A Rose in Winter” and set it aside in much disgust. Several months later I read the book and I loved the story! It was still a long time after that before I started reading romance on a regular basis, but I credit this book for pointing me in the right direction. My tastes in romance have changed drastically over the last *cough*ty years, but I still have a soft spot in my heart for this particular book.

FIVE PEOPLE TO TAG

Because I’m so behind in my memes I’m not going to tag anyone. However, this is a great meme and I know some of you are mad crazy readers. So if you decide to do this please let me know!

Labels: ,


Mused by Jenster :: 8:18 PM :: 4 People musing:

Post / Read Comments

---------------oOo---------------