Jenster's Musings

Monday, February 11, 2008

Cold is Relative

I have one of those really cool bedside clocks which not only reflects the time on the ceiling; it alternates with the outside temperature. When I went to bed last night it was 12 degrees. Every time I rolled over I would glance at the temperature and watched it dropped down to 5.

Of course I couldn't make Taylor walk the half a block to the bus stop at 6:55 when it had only warmed up to 8 degrees with a wind chill of -7. That's -21.66 Celsius! I'm pretty sure I've never been anywhere so cold, making this all kind of exciting.

Then I turn on Good Morning America and there are places with wind chills in the negative 40's. Duluth was -42, which interestingly is only -41.11 Celsius. All of a sudden -7 isn't so impressive.

We've had one decent snow this winter and it only lasted about four hours. The glorious 2.5 inches was washed away as the snow turned to rain. Talk about lame. It's not right to have cold weather and no snow. What happened to the blizzard conditions of Valley Forge? Not that I want to eat my shoes because the weather prohibits me from buying groceries. I just want some snow. One decent snow where we're stuck in the house for a day and the kids go sledding. That's all I'm asking.

***By the way, did you know Valley Forge only had about 6 inches of snow on the ground that terrible winter? But it was bitterly cold, cold enough to cover the Schuylkill River with ice.***

I know those of you in the frozen tundra (Chicago is part of the tundra, right?) are laughing at me and that's okay. My skin is thick and I can take it. Oh! We've warmed up to -4!!

Labels:


Mused by Jenster :: 7:32 AM :: 24 People musing:

Post / Read Comments

---------------oOo---------------