Jenster's Musings

Sunday, August 27, 2006

Liz Curtis Higgs

Tomorrow is a special day for me. The kids will start school and I'm going to treat myself to doing nothing but read for the entire day. I'm caught up on laundry, I've got simple meals planned for a couple of days, the house is manageable. I'm good.

A few years ago I kept seeing promotional posters and displays of Thorn in My Heart. Even before I knew what it was about I wanted it. I mean, look at the cover. It's beautiful. But once I read the back blurb I was intrigued. I had to have it.

Reading the book was an experience. It took me on quite the emotional rollercoaster. So much so that I'd have to put the book aside just to collect myself. I started emailing Liz Curtis Higgs, lamenting my stuffy nose and swollen eyes. And the gracious lady returned each and every one of my emails. She basically held my hand while I read this book.


When the second book, Fair is the Rose, came out I snatched it up immediately. Another beautiful cover, I might add. This one treated me the same way as the first. I sobbed, I bawled, I even prayed God would give me what I needed to make it through. I know it sounds a bit ridiculous to become that emotionally involved in a book, but that's just how good her writing is.

Once again I relied on Ms. Higgs to get me through. And she was so accomodating. She also promised me all would end well.

Whence Came a Prince was released in March of 2005.
I bought it the day it came out with plans to read it right away. Circumstances being what they were last year, I wasn't able to start it. I was blessed enough to meet Liz at a speaking engagement in Little Rock on April 30th, and she signed my book for me.

All this brings me back to tomorrow. I've been waiting over a year for the right time to read the conclusion of this trilogy. I know I'm going to cry, sometimes for sadness and sometimes for joy, but that's okay. I'm ready.

I don't want to scare you away from this series, either. It is among the best inspirational fiction I have read. While parts of it will hurt you to your soul, other parts will fill you with such peace and hope. I'm very anxious to see how she wraps this all up. And I'll be sure to let you know how I managed.

Mused by Jenster :: 2:37 PM :: 4 People musing:

Post / Read Comments

---------------oOo---------------