Jenster's Musings

Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Highlands versus Paradise

Before I get to the point of this particular post (Yes! I have a point!) I've a few hockey matters to settle:

1. Pucks are regularly frozen for NHL games, and I assume for other hockey events as well. Freezing a puck makes it bounce less, since the rubber is more rigid. It also allows it to glide further since if it's warmer than the ice it will melt the ice, and cause more friction. That would be a direct quote from my very own hockey expert.

2. As for the names, here's what I was thinking:

Picard - Star Trek (Captain Picard) That was an easy one.

Boucher - The Waterboy (Adam Sandler played Bobby Boucher.) We call Taylor Bobby Boucher for two reasons. One - Katie used to call him Bobby when he was little. And two - Taylor "loves his mama very much". And if that makes no sense to you then obviously you've never seen The Waterboy.

Peltier & Gauthier - Characters from the Dark Hunter series by Sherrilyn Kenyon. The Peltiers are a bear family of Were-Hunters and Nick Gautier was a squire for one of the Dark Hunters.

3. Todd is watching Hockey as I type this and they said, "Get the puck out." HAHAHAHAHA!!!! That's as funny as "two minutes for hooking"!

Okay. Moving on.

If you've been hanging around this blog for any length of time then you know we were going to take a family vacation to Hawaii this past summer. When Todd was living up here and the kids and I were still in Arkansas, his company put him up in a Homewood Suites for a week or two over a year and they flew him home quite often. Every other weekend to start with and then three weekends in Arkansas and one weekend in Pennsylvania. Needless to say, we racked up the Hilton points and the Delta Skymiles.

We had reservations for twelve days at a beautiful resort on Waikiki and four first class round trip tickets. But my body rebelled in the form of rashes, blisters, and horrible female problems which resulted in a complete hysterectomy in July. So we cancelled all our reservations with the intent to remake them for next summer.

Somewhere along the line, however, I got the bright idea that we could travel to Scotland just as easily. I asked the kids if they had the choice between Hawaii and Scotland where would they want to go. Surprisingly they decided Scotland would be fun.

So I ordered a few Scotland travel guides, emailed with people who have been there and started planning our trip. My goal was to have all the reservations made by the end of this week. The more I read the books and made my plans the more excited I got.

Before I started making reservations, however, I needed the kids to understand something. A trip to Hawaii would be relaxing. I mean, that's what you do in Paradise, isn't it? A trip to Scotland, however, would not necessarily be restful. If I'm going there I'm going to see as many castles and lochs and quaint villages as I can possibly pack in. And if we were to go on this dream vacation to the UK and they started whining about having to go on this tour or this ride or whatever, I would be VERY NOT HAPPY!

They have changed their minds again and we're back to Hawaii. Todd asked me last night if I was disappointed. Disappointed? Hello!! It's HAWAII!! Not in the least am I disappointed. Besides, if we went to Scotland with the kids Todd and I wouldn't be able to have sex in a castle. I'm just saying.

The downside of a trip to Hawaii is that I'll have to shave more and, while I am trying to get into shape anyway, I have the added pressure of knowing I'll be wearing a good deal less than I would in the Highlands. I think draping a plaid around a body is much more forgiving than sun dresses and bathing suits.

Todd and I will just go back to our original plans. A trip to Scotland for our 25th anniversary - five years after our trip to Hawaii. With no whiney kids.

Mused by Jenster :: 2:20 PM :: 25 People musing:

Post / Read Comments

---------------oOo---------------