Jenster's Musings

Friday, November 02, 2007

Me and Liz

A few weeks ago Sandy at 4 Reluctant Entertainers posted a picture of herself and Liz Curtis Higgs. It made me think of my own picture I have of myself and Liz. Since I posted the book meme yesterday I thought it would be appropriate to post my picture and tell you a little bit about it.

A few years ago I was reading Thorn in My Heart - part of her Lowlands of Scotland series I mentioned in the previous post. It was one of the most moving books I had ever read. I'd read a section and then have to get up and walk around the house, only to come back and read on because I had to know what was going to happen next. Very intense.

Somewhere along the line I sent the author an email telling her how good her book was. The characters, the writing, the story, the emotions... To me it was one of the best books I'd ever read. Before I had finished checking my other emails I received a reply.

This lead to nearly daily emails telling her where I was in the book, what I was thinking or feeling, etc., and always there was a reply within a short amount of time. She was very gracious and kind to "hold my hand" while I read Thorn in My Heart.

When the next book, Fair is the Rose, came out it was the same thing. By the time the third book, Whence Came a Prince, was released, Liz was coming to our church in Little Rock for a speaking engagement. I was so excited that I was going to get to meet my new email friend in person. I told her I'd be there with her new book for her to sign.

My breast cancer diagnosis came just two days before her opening Friday night. I emailed her to let her know I wouldn't be there on Friday night and why, thinking she was probably much too busy with her tour to actually read the email. But, true to Liz fashion, I received a beautiful email from her expressing her sympathy, offering her prayers, and stating she was looking forward to meeting me on Saturday.

I walked through the doors and found my place in line for the book signing, hoping I'd have enough time to make it to the table. I handed my precious book to her assistant and told her, "I'm Jen, her email buddy". Liz must have heard me because her head snapped up and she said, "Come here, sweet sister!" and folded me into such a warm embrace. She asked how I was and told me she was praying for me, to please let her know when I could how my surgery the following Tuesday went. Then the lady behind me asked if we wanted her to take our picture before I even had a chance to ask her.



*** VANITY PAUSE ***

I don't know why I have no bangs. My forehead decrees I must have bangs. Where were they?

*** VANITY PAUSE OVER ***

Liz Curtis Higgs remains one of my most favorite people on this earth and I can't wait to see her again. Not only is she a great writer, she's a wonderful speaker. I wonder what my hair will look like the next time... Hopefully I'll have bangs.

Labels: , ,


Mused by Jenster :: 7:33 AM :: 27 People musing:

Post / Read Comments

---------------oOo---------------