Jenster's Musings

Thursday, March 13, 2008

ROAD TRIP!

The kids and I took a quick trip to Arkansas this afternoon. Or at least it seemed like it.

I worked at the preschool until 3:00 this afternoon and then picked Taylor up from a school club meeting. We met up with Katie at home and then left around 4:00 for a three hour adventure.

Before we even walked out of the house, however, I traumatized my daughter. Again. Taylor had her upside down over his shoulder and this would be the conversation:

Me: Taylor! Put her down!

Katie: Yeah! Put me down!

Taylor: Teeheehee…

Me: I mean it! Put her down now! She's going to scuff the door with her shoes!

Katie: What about me? All you care about is the door?

Taylor: (After putting Katie down) Mom only cares about the door! Tee hee!

Me: Giggle.

Katie: Huff!


We then jumped in the car, opened up the sun roof, plugged in Taylor's iPod and headed for Morgantown with an ETA of 4:30. It was a beautiful drive through rolling hills and by old (and I do mean OLD) farms and historic houses. Taylor actually fell asleep in the back while Katie and I occasionally broke the companionable silence with a little chatter. It was lovely.

Just before 4:30 we arrived at our initial destination, the Morgantown Sonic. That's right, folks! We drove 21 miles just to eat at a mediocre fast food dive for a little taste of home. And thoroughly enjoyed it. I was so excited I texted my friend, Beth, in Arkansas and sent her a picture of Katie eating cheese fries in the front seat of the car.

When all our vittles had been consumed we went to the Super Center Wal-Mart across the parking lot. Sonic and Wal-Mart in one trip? It doesn't get more Arkansas than that! What a grand time we had perusing the aisles, trying on sunglasses, waxing nostalgic. So I texted Beth and sent her a picture of Taylor looking at posters.

Why, oh why didn't I have my real camera with me?? The one difference between this Wal-Mart and every other Wal-Mart I've ever been in was the covered buggy parking at the side of the parking lot. Seriously!! But don't you fret yourselves. I shall return with a real camera in hand because it was most definitely photo worthy.

After our grand tour of Wallyworld we drove through Dairy Queen to get the kids yummables for the trip back home. Katie ordered her usual – a Scooby Doo nose, better known as the Dairy Queen dilly bar. That's what she called it when she was little. In fact, my parents took her to DQ when she was about 5 or 6 and she told them she wanted a Scooby Doo nose. So that's what my dad ordered for her. The girl working the counter was one smart cookie because she figured out what Katie was talking about.

Finally, we headed for home. In one spot there was a beautiful white spire visible above a copse of trees so I took a detour to see it better. What a gorgeous old church it was. Again, curse my lack of camera! I pulled into the parking lot to turn around, but had to park so we could all dance to Every Time We Touch by Cascada. Oh. My. Gosh. It was hysterical! I'd never heard the dance tune before but somehow we all ended up doing the same "party boy" moves in perfect sync. Todd happened to call while we were all getting our groove on, but we were laughing so hard we had to hang up.

As we drove back to the main road we passed such an interesting old house. It was a two story stone house that looked normal straight on, but from the side you saw that it was only about 20 feet deep. So many things for me to get a picture of when I go back!

It was a great condensed version of a road trip and made us feel like we were back in Arkansas for just a little bit. It's the simple things in life, you know.

Labels: , , ,


Mused by Jenster :: 9:57 PM :: 23 People musing:

Post / Read Comments

---------------oOo---------------