Jenster's Musings

Thursday, August 14, 2008

I Can't Believe I Said That!

Yesterday I turned on the 5:00 news to see a horrific sight. You may have even seen it on the national news. A large, luxury condominium complex in Conshohocken was destroyed by an 8 alarm fire. Apparently it had been going on for quite some time when I started watching and by then two entire buildings were completely leveled and a third was in blazes. Thankfully the first two buildings were under construction and not occupied.

Unfortunately it went on to severely damage three occupied buildings leaving 400 people homeless. Eleven firefighters were injured, but at this time I don't think any of the injuries are serious. It's amazing to me that not one resident was injured in this tragic fire. Sadly, there were animals who were not able to be rescued - pets whose owners weren't home at the time. The firefighters did manage to rescue the majority of the pets, however, and the animals are waiting to be reunited with their owners. It is heartening to know how the community has stepped up. Several hotels and private homes are taking in the displaced residents with special consideration given for pet owners.

So as I said, I turned on the TV and was greeted by these tragic scenes and do you know what came out of my mouth? I seriously don't ever talk this way and I'm still stunned I actually said this. Taylor looked at me in obvious shock because I don't think he's ever heard me say something like this. As soon as I blurted it I wanted to take it back. I clapped my hand over my mouth and felt shame and not just a little embarrassment. Some of you may speak this way on a regular basis and I'm in no way judging. It was just so out of character for me and I'm a bit concerned as to what this says about me.

I said...


Are you ready...


Please don't judge me...


I said...


Golly Gee!


Seriously! That's what I said and I wasn't being cutesy or silly or anything! I said it with all the feeling of terror I had in my heart!! Who talks that way??

When Taylor recovered from his shock he said in his best Eddie Haskell voice, "I know. That fire is not very neato!"

****


Channeling Sandra Dee aside, today is day four of Weight Watchers: The Senior Project to the Follow Up to the Sequel, Part VII. So far so good. I feel confident that this time, THIS TIME, I'm going to lose all the weight I gained on chemotherapy and various treatments and surgeries since then. And maybe another 10 or 15 pounds. What's different this time? Well for one thing every morning I've committed my eating and exercising to the Lord and so far I've succeeded.

Another difference is my reward system. Every single time I've been on a diet (for lack of a better word) in the past I rewarded a certain amount of weight loss with a food I'd denied myself. Not so this time. This time I'm getting my hair cut after the first 15 pounds. I'm not talking about just a trim and I certainly won't be denying myself hair color because it could take a while to lose 15 pounds and there's no telling how many kids I would scare in the meantime. But when I hit the first 15 pound mark I'm getting my first real hair cut since it's grown out after losing it all. I think I know how I want it cut and it's proving to be pretty good motivation.

I did have a dream last night that I weighed in (which is kind of odd because I'm doing W.W. online and not attending meetings) and I lost 30 pounds my first week! If that were the case I could get my hair cut AND, oh, I don't know. I haven't thought forward to my next reward. Any good ideas?

Alright. I'm off to eat some yogurt and get in some exercise for the day.

CIAO, friends!!

Labels: , , , , , ,


Mused by Jenster :: 8:32 AM :: 15 People musing:

Post / Read Comments

---------------oOo---------------