Jenster's Musings

Saturday, February 03, 2007

A New and Wonderful Experience

At noon today five young college/career women from church came to clean house for me. I had never even met three of them until this afternoon. They swept, dusted, vacuumed, mopped - my house hasn't looked this clean or smelled this good for quite some time. What's overwhelming to me is that they took time out of their Saturday afternoon to come do this for me. These ladies are a perfect example of God's hands in motion.

The rest of this post should be full of deep thoughts and inspirational conjecture about selflessness and service. And it would be, too, if I hadn't had a life changing experience after they were finished.

The instigator of the cleaning crew, Cristie, and another sweetie, Krista, stayed after the other girls left. We were standing around chatting and laughing and enjoying each other's company when the subject of fluffernutter sandwiches came up. I told them I hadn't even heard of a fluffernutter sandwich until right before we moved up here and that I still hadn't tried it.

The look of shock on their faces was priceless. The conversation continued with what makes the perfect fluffernutter sandwich - white bread and creamy peanut butter - and pretty soon we were all drooling.

So Cristie and Krista ran to the store to get all the fluffernutter provisions. When they returned they set up their assembly line - Cristie on peanut butter detail and Krista administering the fluff - and put together nearly a whole loaf of fluffernutter sandwiches. I made chocolate milk to go along with the sandwiches and then it was time.

It was a thing of beauty. The way the marshmallow cream mixed with the creamy peanut butter, the melting of the white bread on the tongue until there was only fluffernutter in the mouth, the way the two flavors moved with each other in an exquisite dance as sensuous as the tango.

Up until that moment I hadn't realized my life was incomplete. How could I have made it to the age of 41 and not known this? It's as though I'd only been watching life from the outside, not fully engaged. I have now experienced the joy and the ecstasy of a fluffernutter sandwich. I am whole.

I will never be able to fully express the gratitude I feel in my heart to Cristie and Krista. Two finer women there have never been. I love you girls!!

Mused by Jenster :: 4:01 PM :: 16 People musing:

Post / Read Comments

---------------oOo---------------