Jenster's Musings

Thursday, August 31, 2006

Ernesto, the Stinkin' Pesto and Books

We were supposed to go camping in the Poconos this long, holiday weekend. It was amazing I was even able to get reservations at such a late date. But Ernesto has other plans for us. He's going to dump large amounts of H2O on the eastern part of Pennsylvania over the weekend. A 30 foot trailer with a slide out may sound spacious, but it gets small when there are four people with no place to go real quick.

I finished Whence Came a Prince and am happy to report I did so with a minimum of fuss. Liz Curtis Higgs promised me the trilogy would end well and it did. I truly didn't know if it was possible, but I was very happy with the conclusion. The problem I had with the story was that it has a very strong Christian theme, yet it makes me think very uncharitable, unchristian thoughts. Not the fault of poor writing, mind you. Just a dark part of my own heart -- the same part my thoughts of Ernesto originate.

My reading genre is about to take a 180. I'm going to start the second book of the Harry Dresden Files - Fool Moon, written by Jim Butcher. Harry Dresden is a Chicago PI. But he's also a wizard and gets the "unusual" cases. These cases involve things like vampires, warewolves, ghosties, etc. I like the way Jim Butcher writes. I know this will surprise you, but I enjoy a dry, sarcastic sense of humor and Harry Dresden fits that bill. These books are supposedly in the process of being made into a television show for the SciFi channel. And just so my previous posts don't steer you the wrong way, this is NOT an inspirational!

All this talk of reading brings me back to Ernesto. I suppose having torrential downpours over the weekend and being stuck in the house won't be so terrible. I do have a bookcase full of reading to keep me occupied. Todd's in the middle of a huge tome (A Breath of Snow and Ashes by Diana Gabaldon) so he'll be okay with a readingfest. I can come out of my hole every now and again to say something nice to my children in an effort to appear nurturing. So maybe all isn't lost.

Mused by Jenster :: 10:19 AM :: 4 People musing:

Post / Read Comments

---------------oOo---------------