Jenster's Musings

Tuesday, December 12, 2006

People in my Bedroom

A day before the movers came to pack up our house in Arkansas we got rid of our headboard/nightstand combo. I didn’t particularly care for it and I was afraid that if it made it to Pennsylvania I’d be stuck with it forever.

We also did some furniture swapping with Taylor so in our pale blue bedroom right now we have a red nightstand and red dresser with all manner of sports balls for drawer pulls, a tall wire basket system Todd uses for a dresser, a plywood cubby tower I use for a nightstand, a bed with no headboard and the one thing in there I love – a beautiful standing mirror Todd gave me for Christmas back in 1984 (when I was 8).

We do have plans to eventually purchase an entire bedroom suite and new bedding. The room and bathroom at that time will be painted some warm color and window treatments will be added. Pictures and such will then be hung on the walls. But since no one ever sees the bedroom it’s the last thing on our list.

Downstairs takes priority and we’ve made a start with painting and furnishing the living room. I need a couple pieces for my dining room and a couple pieces for the entry way. And I need window treatments for the entire bottom floor. So obviously it’s going to be a while before we get to the bedroom.

I tell you all this because Sunday night at about 10:30 we ended up with somewhere around 20 people in my bedroom and bathroom. You know. The room I haven’t worried about anyone seeing.

It all started like this. Todd was out of town and I was doing my thing at the Sunday evening youth group. The way that works is junior high hangs out from 6:00 to 7:00; worship service for junior and senior high from 7:00 to 8:00; and then senior high hangs out from 8:00 to 9:00. I usually leave around 8:30 with Katie. A little after 8:00 Matt (Youth Minister) came up to me and said, “Do you have a garden tub?” Silly question, if you ask me. But I told him yes. “Can we use it to baptize someone in?” LOL!!! I told him as long as they were small and as long as I had time to run home and pick up any unmentionables that may be lying around.

So Katie and I came home and straightened up. I figured there would be about five people, but at 10:15 they started flowing in. Through the front door, up the stairs, and into my bedroom. I think we fit about 12 people into the bathroom, which included me standing on the vanity with a video camera, and the rest were trying to watch from the doorway. It was pretty cool.

The bizarreness of the situation notwithstanding, it was such a joy to be part of this event. From what little I know about the young girl taking a bath in my tub, she’s had a rough and wild life so this was a HUGE thing.

Our house isn’t huge, but it’s quite a bit larger than what we had in Arkansas. While we see it as a blessing and want to use it to serve others, we were thinking more along the lines of feeding people (like young college students), having bible study, letting kids come over and hang out in the basement, etc. Never in our wildest dreams did we think our bathroom would be a part of that “ministry”.

And a bonus? My bathroom is now nice and clean.

Mused by Jenster :: 9:08 AM :: 5 People musing:

Post / Read Comments

---------------oOo---------------