Jenster's Musings

Sunday, January 07, 2007

New Year's Resolutions

I know I'm about a week late, but honestly - I was in no position to be posting anything a week ago. lol.

I don't usually make resolutions because I'm the world's biggest procrastinator and unfinisher of things already started. Case in point - Baylie's baby quilt. When my friend, Beth, was pregnant with her second child I started making a quilt for the baby. It was a simple Trip Around the World pattern and I wrapped up a small section I had already completed and gave it to Beth at her baby shower. After the shower I took it back so I could finish the quilt. Baylie is 9. The quilt top has been finished for a few years. I have yet to put the backing on and complete the project.

That may be an extreme example, but it's an example nonetheless. And the reason I don't usually make resolutions. I find they're just a setup for failure.

This year is different, though. There are two things - big things - I want to accomplish this year. And to accomplish these things will require a degree of discipline I haven't seen in ages. Makes me wish I was my sister-in-law Rachel. She's the most organized and disciplined person I've ever known. I really wish she lived nearby if for no other reason than to pass on these characteristics by osmosis. Okay. I wish she lived nearby for other, more frivolous reasons, but I'll save those reasons for another, more mushy type post.

1 - I want to get a better hold of our finances. Not that they're in a bad way or anything. They're not. I would just like to finesse our budget a little and watch the money a little closer. What worked for us when we lived in Arkansas doesn't necessarily work for us here in Pennsylvania. The cost of living is different and we have to be a little more careful than we used to be.

2 - I'm going to finish writing my book. Now that I've had reconstruction I'm pretty much at the end of my story. And it shouldn't be hard to write. Most of it has already been written in either emails or diaries or posts. It's more a matter of organizing the data and polishing it into a coherent, cohesive narrative. What I need to do is set aside a certain amount of time each day to concentrate and work on the MS. No blogging, no email, no message boards, no TV, no reading, no anything.

Now that I've publicly declared my intentions I'm hoping I'll feel compelled to stick with these resolutions. I guess this was my way of making myself accountable. Though I have very little pride and this sort of thing hasn't worked in the past. lol

Mused by Jenster :: 12:48 PM :: 10 People musing:

Post / Read Comments

---------------oOo---------------