Jenster's Musings

Saturday, January 13, 2007

Two Weeks Out

My surgery was two weeks ago yesterday. While my recovery is progressing along nicely, I'm tired of being an invalid. In fact, I'm tired of a lot of things.

I'm tired of a lousy complexion. Anesthesia always does this to me. No matter how often I wash my face it still feels icky. Tiny, little bumps all over my forehead and cheeks. There's nothing I can do about it because it's systemic and will have to work it's way out. It will eventually go away. This always happens after I've been put under. And I'm sure the fact that I was under anesthesia for 8 hours will just prolong it.

I'm tired of having hairy legs. Really, how do men do it? I find it disgusting. I think I may actually try shaving today. Even if I only get 50% dethatching, it's still better than the way it is now.

I'm tired of having hairy armpits. This is actually worse than the hairy legs. I can tell you with the utmost certainty that I could never go European. This I will have to endure a little bit longer as my arms don't go up or across enough to do anything about it. I can't shave my left underarm anyway - never will be able to - because I had lymph nodes removed when I had my mastectomy. I'm considering laser hair removal eventually, but I've a feeling that will cost a bit more green than I'm willing to part with. In the meantime I'll just continue to Veet. Or I will as soon as I'm able.

I'm tired of a limited reach. And I really hate the rubberband-snapping-my-phantom-nipple feeling I get when I move the wrong way. If you can't imagine what that's like, just try it. Not pleasant.

I'm tired of needing a nap after my shower. This unfortunate reality is giving me horrible bed head because I fall asleep in the chair with damp hair and wake up with a punk rock style. I am glad, however, that I can shower myself now.

I'm tired of wondering what all this is going to end up looking like. Too bad for me because I'll be wondering for a while. At some point I'll have some revisions done as parts of me look like a child's poor attempt at sewing. Not to worry, though. I've been assured by several woman who have had this same surgery that the plastic surgeon will do a little lipo here, insert a little collagen there, laser that flap of incision, etc. I just hope all this gets done before our trip to Hawaii in June. I would really like to take a Dixie and Daisy I can be proud of, though probably nobody would know the difference anyway.

I'm tired of a few other things that, believe it or not, I find too personal to post. You can let your imaginations run wild, but you're probably wrong. LOL

There are some things I'm very happy about, though. For example - I slept in my bed last night for the first time since my surgery. It was divine if for no other reason than the fact that I could reach my hairy toe out and touch Todd's hairy toe any time I wanted to.

Our decision to buy this house in this neighborhood has been affirmed several times over since we moved in, but not as much as right now. Quite a few of the ladies have organized meals and every evening somebody brings us a delicious dinner. My family hasn't eaten this good since, well... um... let me see... I guess since we lived with my parents that month before we moved up here.

I love how I can ask either one of my kids to do something for me and I don't get the whiney, "do I have to" that seems to be standard among most children. Instead I get an almost enthusiastic, "Sure!" I realize this is temporary and I'm enjoying it while I can.

I'm liking watching Todd iron his pants and shirts for work. Since the running of the house is pretty much my job I usually do his ironing. But it's nice to know he can do it if he has to.

The best part is probably the guilt-free reading/computer time I have. Though I'm not at full concentration because I used to be able to sit and read a book completely through. Now I can only read a couple chapters before I have to stop for a little bit.

All in all things are going very well and every day is a little better than the day before. I see my plastic surgeon on January 31 and I guess we'll go from there.

Mused by Jenster :: 3:02 PM :: 6 People musing:

Post / Read Comments

---------------oOo---------------