Jenster's Musings

Friday, February 16, 2007

Lots and Lots of Random Thoughts

When I was trying to decide what to call my blog I came up with “Jenster’s Mundane Musings.” An apt description for sure, but one that would probably cause people to just keep going. Who wants to read mundane? Except, of course, for the people who feel some responsibility for reading my blog. Like family.

And while most of my posts ARE mundane, this one really takes the cake. So be forewarned. You may be asleep before you ever get to the end.

Another thing. This post will contain still more whining from me. I promise I wasn’t always so gripey. But I have found in the short time I’ve been blogging that it truly is therapeutic. So when I feel whiney, I’m gonna whine. I'm going to break this post up into different catagories. That way you can just skip the parts you don’t want to read. I’ll try it in this post and you all can let me know what you think.

Whiney/TMI

1. I think I very much like my new gynecologist that I met on Tuesday. She’s nice, she seems to be very thorough and appears competent. Except for the fact she never told me I would experience bleeding after my uterine biopsy. Now I was smart enough to expect a little, but I’ve been doing quite a bit of it. I got on line and read that it’s very common to do that for a week so I feel okay about it. I just would have liked to get that information from the nurse or doctor.

2. I saw the dermatologist yesterday about those strange blisters. He suspects it’s a staph infection I got from being in the hospital for 5 days in December. I suspect he’s right. So he gave me a strong antibiotic cream and a strong steroid cream to put on them twice a day and a strong antihistamine to take at night for itching. Then he biopsied two of the blisters and it HURT! Well, not the actual biopsy, but the shot they gave me in each blister to numb me before the biopsy. I was kind of wondering what the point was. But since each biopsy required a stitch I suppose the burning, stinging agony of the needle and acid-like serum was the lesser of two evils.

3. When the dermatologist biopsied those blisters yesterday the nurse asked me if I was allergic to medical tape. I usually have a slight reaction, but nothing bad so I told her not really. After taping gauze over the stitches she told me to leave them on for 24 hours. So I removed them in the shower this morning. Oh. My. Gosh. I nearly screamed! The first one came off without a problem. There was some irritation, but it wasn’t too bad. The second one, however, literally tore a chunk of skin off my stomach. I had what looked like 2nd degree, blistered burns where the tape had been and I pulled one completely off. Between incisions, blisters and now this I’ll NEVER be able to resume my nude modeling career!!

FAMILY

School was closed on Wednesday. While we had snow all day Tuesday, we had sleet after midnight and continuously until about 12:00 on Wednesday. After the sleet we had more snow. Todd worked from home and every time he’d hear a motor start he’d get up and look out the windows to see which neighbor had a snow plow. They all did. Our snow plow is nearly 15-years-old and continually grouses instead of purring like a well-oiled engine. After the sleet stopped the boys got outside and shoveled the driveway, the walkway and the area in front of the mailbox. After plowing his driveway with a snowplow, our next door neighbor came around the corner and plowed our sidewalk. I’m pretty sure he would have done the driveway if Todd and Taylor hadn’t already done it. The neighbor across the street was plowing his driveway when the city plow came through the neighborhood. Apparently he was next to the street and facing the house when the truck plowed a ton of snow onto his back. Todd and Taylor watched the whole thing. Supposedly, Todd was about to yell to him to watch out, but I’m not so sure I believe it.

LOVE

We don’t usually do much for Valentine’s Day. The kids and I used to make a heart-shaped chocolate cake and decorate just for the fun of it. And I’d buy them candy and a card, but we never really went all out. This year the young adults at church were going to come get the kids and Todd and I were going to go to a movie. “Music and Lyrics” was the movie I’d chosen. But because of the snow we had to cancel those plans. Todd and I didn’t have anything for each other, which is fine. He doesn’t have to give me flowers or a card for me to know how he feels about me. But he did do this after he and Taylor finished shoveling the snow while I was in the shower. It’s on our side yard and I have a great view of it from our bedroom window. And it’s still there. :o)

RANDOM (OR RIDICULOUS)

1. Have you seen the Fabreze air freshener spray commercial where the lady sprays a circle and then immediately inhales, smiling as the fresh scent permeates her nostrils? Am I the only one who thinks it’s stupid to sniff air freshener? Is she really smiling because of the clean scent or is she getting high? And is this something we want our children seeing? And what about the effects inhaling chemicals has on the lungs and air passages? I think she should receive hazard pay for that commercial.

2. This is an embarrassing admission, but Todd and I used to watch “In Living Color” a very long time ago. Last night he and Taylor had gone to the airport to pick up some friends, Katie was asleep and I was flipping channels. I came across reruns of the show on BET so I watched it.
First of all – it was obviously filmed before J Lo started paying thousands of dollars to have that famous eyebrow waxer flown cross country to do her brows. Still, the girl could (and still can, I’m sure) bust a move and made a great Fly Girl.

Second – one of our favorite skits was “Men on Film”. Lucky for me, this particular episode had that skit in it. I had to laugh because when Taylor was a baby he ended up in the hospital for observation. He had been throwing up and the doctor thought it was an allergic reaction to an antibiotic he’d been taking. So they had to put an IV in the poor baby. They tried his arms and his heels and had no luck – all the while that child was screaming and his mama was crying, but that’s another story – so they finally put the IV in a fairly large vein in his little bald head. He was about 9 months old and kept trying to get the tape covering the IV off his head. (I promise there’s a point to this story) So the nurse took a Dixie cup, cut it in half and taped it over the IV so he wouldn’t be able to get to the tape. It sat at a rather jaunty angle and once the ordeal was over and we were resting in his hospital room I started laughing. He looked like Blaine! Or was it Antoine? Which ever one Damon Wayans played. Todd failed to see the humor of it, but I ignored his sour looks. He was a little offended that I was laughing at my baby’s plight. But you know, he hadn’t been in the IV room with me and the boy. And besides, he finally came around. Now it’s a huge joke in the family. Except to Taylor. I sometimes call him Blaine and he doesn’t appreciate it at all. Which, of course, is why I do it. So anyway, now you see where I was going with that.

3. I made the kids listen to Earth, Wind and Fire this morning while we were cleaning the house. How can anyone not get jiggy to the three elements? I nearly fell off the treadmill last week getting all funketated to it. No matter how hard I tried just to walk, I couldn’t. I had to get that 70’s dip and snap (you know, dip the knee and snap the head back at the same time) and I determined one cannot do that AND stay in an upright position on the treadmill for long.
4. Blogger made me switch to Beta. I had no choice. So far I don't like it. How in the world do you post a YouTube video? I was going to load "Got To Get You Into My Life" by EW&F (from the ever amazing movie - "Seargeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band"), but nothing but a red X shows up.

Labels: , , , ,


Mused by Jenster :: 4:38 PM :: 13 People musing:

Post / Read Comments

---------------oOo---------------