Jenster's Musings

Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Teeth, Voting and Pictures

Thanks for your well wishes and prayers on Todd's behalf. There's good news and bad news. The good news is the anesthesia didn't make him sick. This was a huge concern for him because he used to get retchedly ill on general anesthesia - not a pleasant thing when you've had oral surgery. But the medications have come so far that he didn't even feel nauseous.

The bad news is they weren't able to insert the implant yesterday. The root of the tooth was cracked and it fell apart as the surgeon attempted to extract it. Which means he had to dig around in there, resulting in: A) too much room for the implant; and B) a lot of pain and swelling.

What he did do is pack the socket with cadavar bone (Todd asked specifically for the bone of an elite athelete or musician) and cover it with a membrane. The bone will eventually fuse and in four months Todd goes back to have the implant inserted. Which leads me to more bad news - more money because only the extraction is covered by insurance and that was the cheapest part of the whole ordeal. But Taylor doesn't really have to go to college in two years so it's not such a big thing.

Todd's left jaw is swollen like a chipmunk's and he keeps doing his Don Corleon impression. He's in quite a bit of pain, but he still managed to go vote this morning.

Which leads me to my next subject - VOTING! (I couldn't have asked for a better segway!)

Yesterday on Good Morning America they showed early polling sites with waits as long as nine hours. We keep hearing the election is really up to Pennsylvania so I figured our lines would be terribly long. I told Todd we should pack a lunch, take lawn chairs and a cooler, maybe a small battery operated TV and coordinate with the neighbors for a Voting Line Party. Is there a law against voting after consuming margaritas?

We didn't take chairs, lunch, a cooler or a TV and we never talked to the neighbors. We DID take beverages and our books, though, and headed over there a little before 10:00. There was hardly a line at all and I think we were in and out in less than 30 minutes. A little disappointing after my thoughts of a party.

All kidding aside - I'm glad that's behind me. I'm tired of the phone calls, I'm tired of the ads, I'm tired of the arguments and the name calling and the half-truths and the ugliness of it all. I'm a little concerned about the outcome, but I will support whichever candidate wins wholeheartedly and pray for him and also his decisions for the next four years.

And for your viewing pleasure I leave you with a few pictures I took this morning from around the house and neighborhood...

Sookie (because how could I not post this picture?)



Looking down the winding street from our house.




Beautiful trees around the neighborhood.




A wasp nest on the ground.



Some blooms around the house.

















The Bradford Pear is turning from the top down.













Our cherry tree. I can't wait to show you how beautiful it is in the spring!




A flaming bush finally looking flamey.







Our house is firmly in the NAGFP - the North American Goose Flight Pattern. I wasn't fast enough to get a picture of the hundreds, maybe thousands, of geese that flew over on Saturday. The noise was almost deafening. But I did manage to snap these this morning.

Labels: , ,


Mused by Jenster :: 11:58 AM :: 12 People musing:

Post / Read Comments

---------------oOo---------------