Jenster's Musings

Sunday, July 05, 2009

Just Keepin' Her Humble

God blesses those who are humble,
for they will inherit the whole earth.
Matthew 5:5 (New Living Translation)

As most everybody who reads this knows, being a parent is hard work. We're responsible for so much. There are the basics like feeding, clothing, safety, health, etc. That's the easy part. The hard part is building character. I mean, we're going to build some kind of character regardless. The challenge is what type of character.

Tonight I did my best to instill a humble spirit in my daughter. She sang harmony in the band at church tonight and rock star status can have a detrimental effect on one's ego. Not only that, but her stage presence was suffering. So I stood in the back with two friends, Stacey and Darlene, and danced for a reaction. I would say I was getting my praise on, but I don't think my movements screamed "Moved by the Spirit" in any form or fashion. What the three of us accomplished was getting her to crack up so much that she couldn't even sing. Which leaves her with a humble spirit. Or humiliated spirit. Is there a difference?

To add insult to injury to the lesson, Katie and I were both wearing jeans and a green t-shirt. Not on purpose, either. But when a high schooler is dressed like her mommy - well, not so cool.

Yea, how didst thy delight in thine offspring's mortification?
With great leaping and joy, sayeth Jenster.
From the Book of Jenster

Labels:


Mused by Jenster :: 9:19 PM :: 8 People musing:

Post / Read Comments

---------------oOo---------------