Jenster's Musings

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

A Day in the Life of a Snowed In Family

We may not have been in a real blizzard Saturday, but we are today. It's absolutely beautiful outside - operative word being "outside". As in I'm inside and warm and comfy and I don't have to go outside at all today so I'll enjoy the view.

While at wine club Friday night we were talking about "The French Toast People". You know, the people who run to the store and buy up the eggs, milk and bread before a big storm hits. Which sounded really good to all of us. Sadly, I only had wheat bread and you just can't make good french toast with wheat bread. Ewww. It doesn't even bear thinking on. Monday I had to go to the store and I decided to grab a package of big, fluffy Texas toast bread for this morning. Oh. My. Goodness. It was the best French toast I've ever had. Ever. In my whole entire life. Sorry Mom. Your French toast was always yummy, but this was a new recipe I found with the teensiest bit of flour and it was simply exquisite. The sliced bananas, powdered sugar and whipped cream on top didn't hurt anything either.

Sookie was happily romping on the snow covered deck while Katie and I enjoyed our delicious breakfast. If I hadn't been so enamoured with my nummies I would have tried to get some cute pictures. She was trying to catch the snow as it fell, diving into the drifts and having a grand time when all of a sudden she started her vicious there's-a-very-threatening-monster-in-my-yard bark. Her hackles were raised - and the girl has huge hackles - and a very large chocolate lab ran up on our deck. Sookie yelped and growled and barked and jumped off the deck with the lab right on her heals and me yelling at her to get in the house. If you're standing at the door you can't see down to the bottom of the deck steps so I had no idea what was going on down there. I was in my slippers and as I was debating whether or not I should tromp through a couple feet of piled snow Sookie came hauling up the stairs (she's uber fast) and ran in the house. I just managed to get the sliding glass door closed before the lab practically slammed into it. Sookie was quite agitated, barking, whining, whining, barking and the owner of the lab finally managed to get her off our deck and back home. It was much too much excitement for what was supposed to be a totally lazy day!

Todd and Taylor watched a Bruce Lee, Jet Li or some such martial arts movie in the basement while Katie and I watched Meet Me In St. Louis and I got caught up on some work work. It was delightful. Of course, we couldn't start the movie until Sookie finally calmed down which seemed to take a good 30 minutes or so.

And dinner tonight? Cheesy Corn Chowder and sourdough bread. That stuff is plum larapin! OH! That reminds me, I need to get the stew meat out of the freezer for tomorrow's dinner. Because nothing says "Yea! It's another snow day!" like a rich, meaty stew. And guess what I'm making for breakfast in the morning. Yup! French toast. I can hardly wait!

That's right. It snowed for nearly 30 hours straight and we got a good 20 inches on top of what we already had from Saturday. The school called this evening and said one more snow day which makes for a very long weekend because the kids were already off for Friday and Monday.

Finally, I told my mom I'd be posting pictures of this new snow today. As you can see there are no pictures. Hopefully I'll be able to post some tomorrow, though I think it's going to take all four of us to make even a dent with the necessary shoveling. Maybe they can shovel and I'll be the photodocumentarian. Brilliant!

Labels: ,


Mused by Jenster :: 12:48 PM :: 6 People musing:

Post / Read Comments

---------------oOo---------------