Jenster's Musings

Monday, September 04, 2006

Invincible, Previews & Goobers

Seeing as how we live in the Philadelphia area, it was our civic right - nay, our civic duty - to see the movie Invincible. Just as the plot summary says, it's a "real feel good movie". After several losing years, the Philadelphia Eagles hire Dick Vermeil (Greg Kinnear) from UCLA to coach the team. In an effort to inspire some team spirit in the fans, he holds open tryouts. One guy surprises everyone, including himself, by making the cut - Vince Papale (Mark Wahlberg), a 30-year-old substitute teacher and bartender.

It's the classic underdog story and it leaves you cheering in the end. Vince Papale ended up playing for the Eagles for three seasons and Dick Vermeil went on to take the Eagles to the Superbowl in 1981. But more enjoyable than that was the 1970's fashions and music. It was a two-hour look back into my childhood.

Some of the cinematography left me a bit dizzy which was easy to do since I'm recovering from a slight case of vertigo. Okay. In retrospect maybe it wasn't the movie.

One of the best parts of seeing a movie in the theater is the previews. The more the better. Tickets are expensive, after all. May as well get my money's worth. We saw about five previews today - all movies that look pretty good. The one I'm really anxious to see, however, is The Prestige. Yes, Hugh Jackman and Christian Bale are in it, but they're not the only reasons I want to see it. It just looks really good!

The other best part of seeing a movie in the theater is the candy. DD was getting picked up at the theater by a friend to go rock climbing so I waited out front with her while DS and DH stood in line for the candy. I said, "I want Goobers." A waste of breath considering that's what I always get at the movies. The theater was packed and by the time the guys got up to the front they were in such a hurry they forgot my Goobers. I tried to be an adult about it, but Goobers are a huge part of my movie experience. Even while engrossed in the film, I still kept thinking of Goobers and what might have been. *sigh* We've been home several hours and I still have a craving for them. And just so there's no misunderstanding, I harbor no ill will towards DH. I still got popcorn and Twizzlers out of the deal.

Mused by Jenster :: 7:14 PM :: 2 People musing:

Post / Read Comments

---------------oOo---------------