Jenster's Musings

Tuesday, August 07, 2007

I Miss Katie

Katie went to church camp on Sunday and while I'm glad she gets to have this experience, I miss her. *sigh* It's only been two days and I still have five to go.

I'm thrilled she had the opportunity to go - we were actually supposed to be in Arkansas this week. There were four other girls from church going, none of whom she knows very well. She is a little bit on the shy side until she gets to know you. The minister and his wife drove their van so the five girls rode together. The other four girls were very nice and told Katie they had a spot for her and she quietly climbed in.

I rode with another family and followed the van. We got to the campground about an hour and a half later and the girls spilled out, giggling, laughing, running to claim the best cabin, and Katie was in the thick of it. I think she's going to have a great time. Just hope she spares a thought or two for me.

I went to church camp every summer from the time I was 8 until probably 14 or so. Every year was a different experience, but a great one each time.

One year I learned you can make yourself throw up by sticking your finger down your throat. That was my very first camping experience and I was probably the youngest kid there. Some of the older girls thought the very rustic camp was disgusting. So they got the bright idea that if they could throw up they'd get to go home. Silly, silly girls. Apparently I made an impression on the camp dean because he told my parents I was the smallest one there, but the most active. His very polite way of saying I was hyperactive. I can guarantee you I'll NEVER hear those words again.

Another year at church camp I learned all about M&Ms. I can only remember two. Green ones make you horny (and I believe that was when I learned what "horny" meant and still probably didn't really get it) and orange ones make your boobs grow. I've mentioned this in another post, but after attaining that knowledge I ate an inordinately large amount of orange M&Ms. I can tell you for an absolute certain it was a lie. Now if the rule was orange M&Ms make your butt grow then there would maybe be some truth to it.

I was on Catalina Island - another very rustic camp - at the end of July in 1981. The counsellors talked the dean into bringing a TV into the mess hall, the only building with any electricity, so the girls could watch the Royal Wedding. And if I'm not mistaken, it was in the middle of the night.

There's a lot I've forgotten in the last 25 to 30 years, but I do know I looked forward to camp every year and loved it. It's my prayer she enjoys it every bit as much as I did. I can't wait to see her on Saturday and hear all about it!

Labels: , , , ,


Mused by Jenster :: 10:41 AM :: 17 People musing:

Post / Read Comments

---------------oOo---------------