Jenster's Musings

Saturday, August 11, 2007

It's All About Love

My Katie gets home from camp today! I can't wait to see her and hear all about her week. I want to know everything. What friends she made, what crafts she did, what she ate, what important life lessons she learned (like the throwing up thing or the M&Ms thing) and mostly what the camp did for her spiritually.

Camp was where I started finding my God as opposed to my parents' God. And that's what I want for Katie. Yeah, she's only 12 and her faith is still strongly based on how she's been raised. But she's getting to the age where she's going to have to figure stuff out on her own and I think camp is a great avenue for that. So we'll see.

She has a "boyfriend" (I use the term loosely because, like I said, she's only 12) at church who is in her grade at school. The kid is an absolute doll. He's going to be quite the charmer as he gets older. I can't be friends with his mother, though, because she's young and cute and looks great in a two piece bathing suit. Drat it all if she isn't nice, too.

I ran into them yesterday at Target. It was so funny because I was putting my stuff on the belt and saw somebody looking at the candy in my aisle out of the corner of my eye. When I looked up it was Matt. I said, "Hey, Matt," and when he saw me he broke out into a huge smile. He was polite and said "Hi" back, but he was looking for Katie. I could tell when he realized I was alone. The smile dimmed just a little. His mom and I finished up about the same time and we stood at the front of the store chatting for a little while. She said Matt's been checking his text messages all week to see if maybe Katie came home from camp early. Ahh... Young love.

On the other end of the spectrum is Taylor and his love life. He dated a girl for about three or four months and broke up with her about a month ago. I came to love this girl in that length of time and I was heartbroken when they broke up. Not because I thought they should always be together and end up getting married or because I miss her so much - even though I do miss her. But because I knew she had her heart broken.

I think she's gotten over it better than I have. Even now I can cry just thinking of it. I'm not sure if it's because I remember what it's like to have my heart broken or because I'm a mom and the thought of my children hurting is almost more than I can bear. Probably a little bit of both. I spent one day in a total funk, crying at the drop of the hat. I cried for this child and the pain she was in and I cried for her mother. But still, I couldn't begrudge Taylor for breaking up with her. It wasn't a decision easily made and he did it with much anguish because he didn't want to hurt her.

Taylor now has another girlfriend. Which makes him sound like a player, but he's really not. I won't go into the whole story - partly for his sake, but mostly for yours - but his new girlfriend has been someone very special to him since last summer. I love this little girl, too. Ever bit as much as the other one. And her mother and I are becoming great friends - she's also a breast cancer survivor of 10 years. GO CONNIE!

And I never thought I would say this about my 15-year-old son, but I honestly won't be surprised if this is the one. Yes, I totally believe in young love - you should hear my family stories. Like my middle sister was 14 when she started "dating" (group dates and family outings only - lol) her now husband. My oldest sister started dating her husband when she was 16. Both have been married over 30 years. I was old and 18 when I started dating Todd. So I know firsthand that sometimes young romances do stand the test of time.

It would be fine with me if he never broke up with another girl again. I don't think I can take it. Of course, I'm not sure what her mother would have to say about me already having them married in my mind. :o)

My last "love" subject is the party we're going to this afternoon. Some good friends of ours are getting married in Rhode Island in a few weeks - just the two of them and Todd and I - but today is the reception or wedding party. Cristie - the bride - is the lovely woman who introduced me to my newest addiction - the Fluffernutter. So she thought it would be apropos if I were to make fluffernutters for the party. I am honored. But I guess that means I need to get up, pour another cuppa joe and get to work.

So that's all the love I've got at the moment. And if by, say, Tuesday I'm back here complaining about how Katie is driving me crazy, please refer me back to this post. 'kay??

Labels: , , , , , , ,


Mused by Jenster :: 9:12 AM :: 15 People musing:

Post / Read Comments

---------------oOo---------------