Jenster's Musings

Thursday, August 09, 2007

Just Call Me Goldilocks

I don't get migraines very often, but when I do they're awful. I'm lucky they don't last for days, but they are very intense when I get them. They're bad enough that I can't think straight, I can't talk and I sometimes even become a little irrational.

The last time I had a migraine was November 22, 2005. It was the night of my very last chemo treatment. My parents and in-laws came over to the house for a celebration. I had ordered cupcakes with white frosting and pink ribbons and we were going to have Chinese for dinner. This particular headache came on so fast and furious that I had very little warning. I can usually feel it coming and take something to help a little, but not this time.

It was a little ironic that I didn't throw up once during the entire time I went through chemo until the very last day. I know the treatment that day didn't cause the migraine, but I do think it intensified it.

And this post doesn’t have anything to do with my last migraine, but you know I get started and have a hard time stopping.

So anyway, I got another migraine this afternoon. I was driving Taylor to band practice when I felt the beginnings of a headache. When I got home I decided to relax in the chair for a little bit to see if it would go away on its own. Basically I was too lazy to go upstairs for Tylenol.

It didn’t go away and quickly turned into a raging migraine. So I went upstairs and took some Excedrin Migraine, then went down into the basement where it’s fairly dark. I tried to get comfy in one of the recliners, but it was too big. I then tried to get comfy in the other recliner, but it was too something.

Next I went back up to the room to lie in the bed. But it was too bright and the headache seemed to be worse when I lay down. So I came back down to the family room and sat in the big green chair. It was still too bright and I couldn’t find a position that relieved the pressure in my neck.

In a last bit of desperation I tried my chair in the living room. With the shades drawn it’s fairly dim and the wings on the side were the perfect rest for my head. I was able to relax and the next thing I new 30 minutes had passed and my headache was gone. No insane ramblings, no crazy thoughts and no throwing up.

Note to self: Next time you get a migraine take the Excedrin Migraine and head straight for the living room.

Labels: ,


Mused by Jenster :: 10:31 PM :: 10 People musing:

Post / Read Comments

---------------oOo---------------