Jenster's Musings

Wednesday, August 08, 2007

A Message From God

As most of you know, I'm trying to write my memoirs. I don't really think of what I'm writing as memoirs, but that would be the technical term. When I think of memoirs I think of someone who has done something incredible or who had a bevy of torrid affairs - neither of which I can claim.

So if when this book gets published I will naturally use my real name. Because it would be silly to use a pen name for a book about me, doncha think?

What you may NOT know is that before I had something to actually write about I played around at writing fiction. I love making up a story - and I have a fertile enough imagination that I can do it. I'm not sure about the actual writing of the story, though I do have a few people who are very encouraging. And they're not all family, either!

Because my name is so common - can I get a witness, all you Jennifer's out there - I want to use a pen name if I ever publish my fiction. If you read this post you know about my fondness for the name Roxanne. I'm thinking of going by Roxy because there aren't a ton of those out there. (No, Terri. This does NOT mean you get part of the royalties)

Since Roxanne is my oldest sister's middle name I thought it would be nice to use my other sister's middle name as well, but Roxy Suzanne sounds more like a stripper than an author and since I won't be writing erotica I think I'm going to have to pass on that one.

Now wanting to be a published author is quite a lofty goal. I mean how many of you handful of people who actually read this blog have the same desire? And it's easy to get discouraged and be full of self-doubt.

I absolutely believe God still talks to us. He speaks to us through the Bible, in sermons, through people - a myriad of different ways. Where I hear him the most, however, is in music.

This morning as I walked on the treadmill I was listening to my very eclectic collection of songs on my iPod in shuffle mode. My mind was filled with doubts about my writing when I realized Voice of Truth by Casting Crowns was playing. Here is the chorus:

But the voice of truth tells me a different story
The voice of truth says, "Do not be afraid!"
The voice of truth says, "This is for My glory"
Out of all the voices calling out to me
I will choose to listen and believe the voice of truth

I giggled a little bit and sang along and do you know what the very next song was?

Roxanne by the Police! (Told you it was eclectic)

So this is what I believe God was telling me. "Keep at it, ignore the doubts and use the name Roxy."

Labels: , ,


Mused by Jenster :: 12:21 PM :: 17 People musing:

Post / Read Comments

---------------oOo---------------