Jenster's Musings

Monday, June 18, 2007

And It's Over

I had to post this picture of a champagne glass jacuzzi for Barb because that's what she associates with the Poconos. I didn't see any at the campground, though.

The camping trip was everything it was hoped to be. Restful, relaxing, fun -- just what I wanted.

Todd led a team at work several months ago and the individuals on that team received awards Friday afternoon. So we didn't get out of Dodge until 6:00. No biggy.

** Just have to insert here that we passed a law firm called Fitzpatrick, Lentz & Bubba. Does anyone else think it's a funny name for Yankee firm or is it just me? **

** Across from our trailer was a fairly nice motorhome. Dad looked like the lead singer from Judas Priest, mom had lots of tattoos, son (about 8) had a Mohawk and a skull and crossbones t-shirt, daughter (6-ish) and baby didn't have any distinguishing characteristics. Can you guess what music they had blaring from their RV?? John Denver, The Carpenters, Roberta Flack! **

Okay. Back to the weekend. The plan was we'd get set up, get comfy and then watch one of the movies Katie and I bought (Eragon and Ghost Rider, the latter of which I have a few things to say about, but that's another post for another day.) Taylor had been in charge of packing the little TV and the PlayStation which doubles as a DVD player. He's hooking up this cable and that cable while the rest of us are getting our jammies on, excited about snuggling and eating popcorn and watching a movie, and he says, "Did anybody think to bring the PlayStation controller?" Everyone stopped what they were doing and gave him the greasy eyeball because that was part of the TV and Playstation stuff HE was supposed to get! So no DVDs for us over the weekend.

It rained off and on all day Saturday. Katie and I managed a nice walk around the campground and a couple games of tether ball between showers. When the family decided to play one of our many board games we realized we didn't have any with us. So when it was clear we all walked up to the general store and bought Skipbo and a cheap poker set. We played a rousing game of Skipbo and I thoroughly trounced the family. I maintain I am not competitive, but whenever I say that they argue with me. Just because I gloat does not mean I'm competitive.

Late in the afternoon the kids decided to go play tether ball. I locked the door behind them so I could put up the luau decorations and surprise them. They came back before I was finished and I think we sufficiently freaked them out with the locked door. The looks on their faces were gold when I opened the door just a fraction of a smidge, threw money at them and told them to go play video games. They were truly horrified. Bad Jen wanted to just let them stew in their own repugnance while she laughed her evil laugh. Good Jen, however, told them she had a bit of a surprise for them that wasn't quite ready. The relief they showed at that vital piece of information was priceless.

This is what's to show for all my hard work:




And to make everyone think we were in Hawaii I played this:



I brought a bottle of wine for me and Todd and had looked forward to our dinner the whole week before. When it came time to open the bottle I couldn't find our corkscrew. The one we had for the trailer has somehow made its way into the house and Todd didn't want to spend a buck fifty for another cheap one from the general store. So I looked around at the other campers to see if any of them were drinking wine. Nobody was. I was very distraught.

Now before everyone starts thinking I'm a lush and I had to have my wine I have to explain. It was just like when Todd and I were first married and we ordered a pizza on Friday night. Saturday I had a list of chores I wanted to get done and my reward was going to be leftover pizza. I thought about the pizza as I cleaned the shower, I fantasized about the pizza as I scrubbed toilets, I contemplated the pizza as I mopped floors. Finally I finished my tasks, cleaned up and ran to the kitchen, my prize uppermost in my mind. But when I opened the refrigerator there was no pizza. NO PIZZA!! Todd had eaten all the leftovers! That was probably 18 years ago and I still have forgiveness issues over it. So anyway, the wine was kind of like that. I had thought it to be part of my reward, an enjoyable dinner of grilled teriyaki chicken, fried rice and pineapple with a crisp glass of Riesling. But I guess it wasn't meant to be.

After dinner the boys went out to start the campfire. Katie had been itching all day to roast marshmallows. When I finally got outside Todd and Taylor were sitting under the awning because it had started raining again. That didn't stop Katie, however. She stood in the drizzle, holding marshmallows over the smoldering, smokey logs. I told her she was a silly girl, the rain would pass and Dad would build us another fire. I was right. When the flames were going good the kids both got up to roast marshmallows. I told them proper marshmallow roasting requires red hot embers, not flames, and they should be patient like I was. But then it started raining again. Since I'd been denied my wine there was no way I was going to be denied my roasted marshmallows! So I stood in the drizzle, holding marshmallows over the smoldering, smokey logs.

Labels: , ,


Mused by Jenster :: 2:26 PM :: 11 People musing:

Post / Read Comments

---------------oOo---------------