Jenster's Musings

Friday, June 22, 2007

The Bionic Ovaries

It's official. I truly am too much woman.

I saw my gynecologist yesterday to discuss what's to be done about my girly parts. I had originally been scheduled for a D&C and endometrial ablation at the end of May because I was having horrid bleeding episodes due to the changes and thickening of the endometrial lining caused by the use of Tamoxifen. My gynecologist had finally convinced me my ovaries had completely shut down, I was NOT producing estrogen and, as such, my bleeding was not a period.

I had to cancel the procedure because at that time I had rashes and/or blisters on my entire body. I was concerned how my overly sensitive skin was going to react to the anesthesia and minor trauma to my body. But since I wasn't producing estrogen (my sworn enemy) it wasn't a big deal.

Turns out I AM producing estrogen. Post-menopausal levels are 27 and below. I had blood taken a week ago and those levels were 92. So I am now scheduled for a total abdominal hysterectomy and bilateral salpingooopherectomy (meaning they're taking both of my very stubborn ovaries) on Monday, July 2. I'll be in the hospital at least one night, possibly two. If I stay two nights then people everywhere across this great nation will be setting off fireworks in my honor when I come home. The public support is overwhelming.

The doctor looked at my chart yesterday and said, "Since you had a C-section I can just go through that incision." I told her that would be fine or I had another one from hip to hip from my reconstruction in December. It was her choice. Since I've given up on my nude modeling career it doesn't really matter.

We left her personal office and walked down the hall to the scheduling nurse. Being the prepared girl I am, I whipped out my calendar so we could find a good date. And when I say calendar, I mean calendar. As in wall calendar. I don't think I would have gotten as many strange looks if I'd had a pocket calendar. Maybe I should look into one of those.

I really hadn't planned on having another major surgery just six months after my last one, but whatever. As I've mentioned before, I really like the feeling of going under and I'm excited about the prospect of being medicated for a day or two. Sounds like fun.

The worst part in all this is that our modified plans for the summer may have to be remodified. The kids and I had planned to drive to Arkansas at the end of the summer, but that remains to be seen. We'll just have to see how well I do. I dreaded telling them we may have to cancel, but they both took it well. **WHEW**

By the time summer is over I expect to be rash free, blister free and female issue free. I also wouldn't mind being taller, thinner and tanner. I'm just sayin'.

Labels:


Mused by Jenster :: 9:33 AM :: 21 People musing:

Post / Read Comments

---------------oOo---------------